Gentemstick Powderstick Rocket Fish HP Snowboard 2021
Gentemstick took their Rocket Fish High Performance snowboard and turned it into a top-of-the-line, hand-crafted pow-surfer with Powder Plates instead of bindings. These Powder Plates feature a concave that gives enough leverage to maneuver while not obstructing the overall flex of the board. The Powderstick features no wood-core, no p-tex, no steel edges - just bamboo and fiberglass. This stripped down construction gives it a supple yet strong-enough flex to accommodate the speed and control needed when powsurfing.
"I have personally tried this set up and I have to say I was blown away how "normal" it felt riding the board without bindings. Of course, there is a limitation for speed and control in comparison to a regular snowboard, but the feeling and satisfaction you get while riding seems to be more pure and simple without having the need to venture into a big slope. I found the Powderstick to be a great addition to my quiver to broaden my spectrum of sideways snow sliding fun!! I hope you'll feel the same way once you have a chance to try one out." - Domi
- Flexible Bamboo + Fiberglass
- The base is lacquered bamboo for a fully natural flex and smooth connection with the snow beneath you. Because it is not made plastic - the lacquer will eventually wear off after some riding, but this can be prevented by regularly waxing up with rub-on wax, and if need be, the finish can be recovered using water-based urethane lacquer spray.
- The design concept for all Gentemstick boards has always been based on shapes that would allow the rider to ride without the aid of bindings. After years of testing and innovation, the Powder Plates were developed to allow precise control without the need of bindings. The concave of the Powder Plates gives enough leverage to maneuver while not obstructing the overall flex of the board.
- Powder Stick (Rocket Fish HP)
- Powder Plates
- The Powderstick uses the traditional 4x4 system and regular bindings could be mounted on the board (with proper length screws). Which is a great option to have when the conditions become a little too sketchy for bindingless riding. HOWEVER, the board has been designed in such a way to allow a rider of around 45kg to 85kg (100lbs to 190lbs) ride comfortably in deep powder snow conditions and is not meant to be ridden in hardpack or handle heavy impacts as while snowboarding. Powderstick is, in comparison to a regular snowboard, more prone to damage by nature of its construction.
Accel-Camber - Gentemstick’s radical Accel-Camber eliminates that catchy edge feeling and prevents nosedives in deep powder or fresh snow, while maintaining a natural flotation. It is designed and shaped to perform its best when the rider stands neutrally on top of a board. It is made flat from the widest point of the nose side to about the front foot. The arch begins there and reaches the highest point around the back foot, and it ends at the widest point of the tail side. When a rider stands on the board, the arch gets pushed down and the area ahead of the front foot barely touches the snow.
This is the position that maximizes the performance of the board, and also the same position that reaches maximum velocity in ski races and other speed competitions. The key is to reduce resistance.
The Shape - Shaping is the most essential factor in board design. The beauty of snowboard design is to create an ideal three-dimensional curve resulting from a harmonizing outline, bottom-line and the actual warping of the board when riding it. Gentemstick's commitment is to create a shape that allows a smooth and stable ride whether in powder or on packed snow.
Gentemstick creates each of it’s snowboards with a “distinct characteristic”. There is no single prototype just as in nature individual species have differences. Gentemstick's design positions the user’s body differently than other snowboards. On most snowboards the rider is positioned leaning into the hill, whereas on a Gentemtick the user rides in a more central position. Rather than fighting against the slope, the rider becomes one with it. These important details aim to allow the rider to discover the trail’s true rhythm on every ride.
History - In October 1998, surf and snowboard shaper Taro Tamai started Gentemstick with just 20 of the uniquely outlined TT-model snowboard. The concept was to make the best quality snowboards that would blend perfectly into the terrain, just like birds flying in the sky or fish flowing in the stream.
|Suggested Boot Size (US):||16 & under|
|Waist Width (cm):||27.2|
|Weight Range (lbs):||100 - 190|
|Stance Set Back (in):||1.16|
|Sidecut Radius (m):||8.1|
|Sidecut Depth (mm):||29.0|
|Effective Edge (cm):||106.3|
|Running Length (cm):||95.0|
|Tip Width (cm):||33.0|
|Tail Width (cm):||28.7|
|Stance Width (mm):||450 - 530|